HomeNewsSquadThe ClubMatchesTicketsCommercialFeaturesCommunity Football SchemeDons Trust
Fixtures Results ReportsLeague TableAway GroundsThe LeagueLeague FixturesArchiveVenuesGalleries
This is the old official AFC Wimbledon website, preserved for posterity.
For the current official site click www.afcwimbledon.co.uk
Saturday 27 September 2003
Combined Counties League Premier Division

Bedfont    1 - 6    AFC Wimbledon
Oma Hamsa (51)
  (11) Matt Everard
(20) Kevin Cooper
(53) Kevin Cooper
(66) Innis Pirrie (og)
(74) Ryan Gray
(78) Joe Sheerin
 Lee Stevenson 1 Matt Martin 
(sub 40)  Matthew MacFarlane 2 Steve Gibson 
 Adam Griffith 3 Simon Bassey ( 32) 
 Richard Bryant 4 Jamie Angell 
 Innis Pirrie 5 Matt Everard 
(sub 90)  Yousif Fofomah 6 Andy Sullivan 
(sub 70)  Oma Hamsa 7 Seb Favata 
 Gordon McAvoy 8 Gavin Bolger 
 Mark Postins 9 Ally Russell (sub 63) 
 Adam Willis 10 Kevin Cooper (sub 71) 
 Jamel DeCosta 11 Ryan Gray (sub 80) 
(sub 90)  A. Shannon 12 Danny Oakins 
(sub 40)  M. Turner 14 Paul Scott (sub 71) 
( 90) (sub 70)  Darren Noad 15 Joe Sheerin (sub 63) 
 Paul Cook 16 Darren Dobinson (sub 80) 
 B. Gale 17 Neil Robson 

Match report

Bedfont 1 - 6 AFC Wimbledon

Last season Dons travelled to Bedfont anticipating a tough fight for three points, and were not disappointed. On Saturday many felt this would be one of our harder fixtures this season but, as on Wednesday night, the opposition was swept away in a glut of goals.

Danny Oakins arrived late and had to concede his centre back spot to Jamie Angell, otherwise it was the same starting eleven as the midweek rout of Chessington & Hook, and new signing Paul Scott took his place on the bench alongside Darren Dobinson, back from holiday, and Joe Sheerin, still working his way back to fitness.

It took AFC just eleven minutes to get going, Ryan Gray's corner from the right was only half cleared and Gavin Bolger swung the ball back across goal for Matt Everard to powerfully head home from twelve yards. Five minutes later Andy Sullivan, confidence re-found in the last few weeks, went on a mazy run down the right wing and into the six yard box, beating half the Bedfont team, before he comically fell over as he lined up a shot. On twenty minutes the game was all but over, Ali Russell rose high to flick on a goal kick and the ball fell for Kevin Cooper who ran between two defenders and slid the ball past the Bedfont 'keeper. A scything tackle from Simon Bassey on Oma Hamsa got a mention in the referee's book just after the half-hour and five minutes before the break Matthew MacFalane fell innocuously defending a free kick into the box and had to be carried off. Just before the interval another Gray corner met another Everard header, but this time it was cleared off the line for another corner, which Russell headed wide.

Bedfont came out for the second half with a bit more fire in their bellies, and six minutes in Oma Hamsa latched onto a ball at the back post to volley home. Unfortunately for the home side, this only served to spur the Dons into action. Within two minutes the two goal lead was restored, Gray curled in a free-kick to the back post, Everard rose highest and put the ball back across the face of the goal and Cooper was waiting at the other post to volley in. A minute later and Cooper again had the ball in the back of the net, but it was cancelled out by a very close offside decision. Persistent Dons pressure paid off again after 66 minutes; Fofamah was lucky to concede only a free kick when he sliced down Gavin Bolger, but Bolger's resultant free-kick scrambled across the goal face and Innis Pirrue could only chest the ball into his own net. The introduction of Paul Scott with twenty minutes remaining was the icing on the cake. Within two minutes Gray set off on a jinking run down the middle of the pitch, but was rather lucky to see the shot at the end bobble past Lee Stevenson and settle in the back of the net, and four minutes after that Dons completed their second six goal haul in four days; Scott went on a forceful run down the left and slid the ball into Gray, who's delightful back-heel found Joe Sheerin waiting at the front post to clip the ball inside the post. With five minutes left on the clock, Bedfont conjured up a twenty yard shot from nowhere that crashed against the bar with Matt Martin beaten, but it was all over.

Next Match >>