HomeNewsSquadThe ClubMatchesTicketsCommercialFeaturesCommunity Football SchemeDons Trust
Fixtures Results ReportsLeague TableAway GroundsThe LeagueLeague FixturesArchiveVenuesGalleries
This is the old official AFC Wimbledon website, preserved for posterity.
For the current official site click www.afcwimbledon.co.uk
Wednesday 19 November 2003
Premier Challenge Cup

AFC Wimbledon    5 - 4    Walton Casuals
Ryan Gray (37)
(og) Lawrence Ennis (57)
Ryan Luffman (79)
Matt Everard (90)
Matt Everard (90)
  (09) Niall Wynne
(14) Luke Dowling
(28) Niall Wynne
(72) Anthony Gale
(sub 46)  Lee Carroll 1 Danny Wheeler 
 Steve Gibson 2 Lawrence Ennis ( 86) (sub 88) 
 Lewis Taylor 3 Michael Cayford (sub 64) 
 Danny Oakins 4 Luke Dowling ( 37) (sub 70) 
( 55)  Matt Everard 5 Mark Osikoya 
 Lee Sidwell 6 Grant Keywood 
(sub 46)  Noel Frankum 7 Niall Wynne 
(sub 80)  Jamie Angell 8 Scott Harris 
 Paul Scott 9 Greg Ball 
 Ryan Luffman 10 Anthony Gale 
( 72)  Ryan Gray 11 Adam Fennell 
 Keith Ward 12 Paul Roberts (sub 64) 
(sub 46)  Matt Martin 13  
 Matt Hodge 14 Craig Carley 
(sub 80)  Kevin Cooper 15 Graeme Cooksley (sub 88) 
(sub 46)  Seb Favata 16 Carlo Castronovo (sub 70) 

Match report

AFC Wimbledon 5-4 Walton Casuals

The Dons triumphed by the odd goal in nine after a hectic yet surreal encounter at Kingsmeadow.

Terrible defending in an unfamiliar 3-5-2 formation saw Walton go three-nil up inside 28 minutes. Wynne steered a corner home with a low volley, Dowling headed a free-kick into the back of the net and then Wynne made it three with a well-worked low shot.

This prompted a reversion to 4-4-2. And the Dons pulled one back before half-time as a late decision for a foul on Luffman gave the Dons a lifeline of a penalty. Gray did the honours for 3-1.
The second-half finally saw Wimbledon play with something approaching their normal fluidity. 3-2 came from a mistake by Danny Wheeler. Ennis tracked back with Scott in attendance and nodded the ball back to Wheeler. He made a terrible hash of trying to collect it and flicked it back into Ennis who shinned it into his own net from the edge of the area.

Ryan Luffman came into the game more and seemed to be poleaxed in the box but nothing was given. Despite growing Wimbledon pressure it was Walton who scored next. With defensive cover lacking, Martin produced a good point blank save to deny Gale from close range but the ball fell back to the striker to bang it home on 72 minutes.
Five minutes later it was game on once more. Luffman showed great strength to run home and slide the ball under Wheeler. Kevin Cooper came on for Angell as the Dons looked to secure the win.

In the last ten minutes, blue waves bore down on the Walton goal. A succession of four corners ended with a fracas which saw Ennis booked and then substituted. Several further corners followed without reward and Gale fired over on the break.
Just as a message filtered back to the press-box that there would be eight-and-a-half minutes of added time, another corner from Gray came to the back of the box and was powered home by Everard.

And then it was 5-4. Scott overlapped at pace on the right, stormed into the box and pulled it back. Cooper scuffed his shot and Wheleer got down to save, but who was following up but that man Everard? He?s deadly from two yards and made no mistake to secure a remarkable win.

Next Match >>