HomeNewsSquadThe ClubMatchesTicketsCommercialFeaturesCommunity Football SchemeDons Trust
Fixtures Results ReportsLeague TableAway GroundsThe LeagueLeague FixturesArchiveVenuesGalleries
This is the old official AFC Wimbledon website, preserved for posterity.
For the current official site click www.afcwimbledon.co.uk
Tuesday 27 January 2004
Premier Challenge Cup

Chipstead    1 - 3    AFC Wimbledon
Michael Corbett (19)
  (51) Kevin Cooper
(104) Paul Scott
(118) Darren Dobinson
 Healy 1 Lee Carroll 
 Darrell Teesdale 2 Simon Bassey ( 10) (sub 66) 
 Steve Eggleton 3 Paul Quinn (sub 86) 
 Andrew Wareing 4 Danny Oakins 
 Craig Phelps 5 Matt Everard 
(sub 70)  Lawrence Buchmann 6 Lee Sidwell 
 Cronk 7 Gareth Graham (sub 65) 
 Richard Williams 8 Gavin Bolger ( 9) 
(sub 52)  Michael Corbett 9 Paul Scott 
 Phil Dawson 10 Kevin Cooper 
 Jack Kenny 11 Darren Dobinson 
(sub 80)  Andrew Petty 12 Noel Frankum (sub 65) 
  13 Matt Martin 
(sub 70)  Algar 14 Steve Gibson (sub 66) 
( 52)  Chris Heuston 15 Sean Daly 
 Mick Nolan 16 Andy Sullivan (sub 86) 
 Tony Smith 17  

Match report

Raynes Park beckons for the Dons after an extra-time victory at Chipstead in which a late Darren Dobinson wondergoal rewarded a frozen crowd for their fortitude.

The first-half belonged largely to the home side - their defensive bank of five comfortably stifled the Dons and, with the strikers struggling to hold the ball up, the midfield struggled to maintain possession and reverted to aimless hopeful balls forward.

A dour scrappy battle in the middle of the pitch ensued, with chances sparse for both side. Michael Corbett looked the most likely to break the deadlock. Set free on 15 minutes, he was denied by a smart block from Lee Carroll, racing off his line to save well. Five minutes later a Carroll mistake gifted him a second chance. He looked to have plenty of time to clear another long ball through, but the ball somehow squirmed off his foot to a grateful Corbett, who took the ball round the keeper and rolled it in for a deserved lead. Wimbledon were reduced to long-range shots from Cooper, Scott and Bolger and did not look like scoring before half-time. After the interval, they finally began to play with greater fluidity and quicker passing. This yielded the equaliser. Dobinson fed Bolger in the penalty area. He was going away from goal and was needlessly floored by the goalkeeper Healey for the penalty. Cooper was calmness personified and found the bottom left corner for 1-1.

Gareth Graham was then replaced by the returning Noel Frankum, greeted by a chant of "Womble reject" from the travelling support. There were few further chances for either side in normal time as the Dons exerted greater dominance but no real pressure. A Scott run was halted by a late tackle, but Cooper's low free-kick was blocked. Scott headed home a curling cross from Cooper but the linesman flag ruled it out, while Oakins had a shot from the edge of the area easily saved. Chipstead's best chance was a very tame header that didn't trouble Carroll unduly. As the game drew to a close, Paul Quinn went down with cramp and was replaced by Andy Sullivan, with Dobinson reverting to left-back.

A further thirty minutes of cold calcio was required to separate the sides and the Dons now enjoyed the lion's share of possession. On 104 minutes, Sidwell battled well to win the ball back. Scott jinked in and squirmed a low shot inside the near post, despite Healey's efforts, for his second goal in successive games.

In the second period, with the home defence tiring, Cooper was eventually crowded out after good work on the wing by Scott and Sullivan's mazy run was ended on the edge of the box. Healey then got down well to turn a Cooper effort round the post. With nine minutes remaining, Chipstead almost got back on terms as Jack Kenny rattled a long range effort against the crossbar. With the final whistle imminent, Dobinson made the win secure and, perhaps more importantly, justified the arctic experience of standing around an exposed and windswept field in the middle of nowhere as blizzards loomed. Collecting the ball on the halfway line, he beat two men and stormed forward, took it round the centre back on the edge of the box and curled it back across the keeper and inside the far post with a vicious dipping strike.

Next Match >>