HomeNewsSquadThe ClubMatchesTicketsCommercialFeaturesCommunity Football SchemeDons Trust
Fixtures Results ReportsLeague TableAway GroundsThe LeagueLeague FixturesArchiveVenuesGalleries
This is the old official AFC Wimbledon website, preserved for posterity.
For the current official site click www.afcwimbledon.co.uk
Tuesday 24 August 2004
Ryman League, Division One

AFC Wimbledon    2 - 0    Banstead Athletic
Robert Ursell (55)
Martin Randall (69)
 Danny Naisbitt 1 Paul Borg 
 Michael Woolner 2 Aaron Day 
 Ryan Gray 3 Martin Beard 
 Antony Howard 4 Mark Leahy 
 Matt Everard 5 Wayne Finnie 
 Steve Butler 6 Tommy Ellis ( 54) (sub 68) 
 Robert Ursell 7 Marcel Dennis 
 Chris Gell 8 Rickie Lewis ( 45) 
 Richard Butler 9 Simon Huckle ( 45) (sub 75) 
(sub 61)  Jamie Taylor 10 Simon Mitchell 
 Gavin Bolger 11 Michael Beale 
 Steve Gibson 12 Danny Wise 
 Paul Smith 13  
 Jon-Barrie Bates 14 Neil John (sub 75) 
(sub 61)  Martin Randall 15 Graham Knight (sub 68) 
 Lewis Taylor 16 Gary Syrett 
  17 Darren Beale 

Match report

Banstead defended stoutly, and deeply, on their visit to Kingsmeadow but Wimbledon kept their patience and two excellent second-half goals were enough to secure all three points.

The first half-an-hour wasn?t so much goalless as so incidentless and static as to be bordering on non-existent. Nothing happened of any note, although Wayne Finnie proved to have a very, very long throw, which came to nothing.

Finally, on 28 minutes the Dons created their first real chance. Robert Ursell flicked the ball out to Gray. His low cross was blocked and eventually deflected behind for a corner as Woolner attempted to follow up.

As if that one half-chance wasn?t excitement enough, an actual real chance followed almost immediately afterwards. Jamie Taylor broke quickly from a Naisbitt throw and laid the ball inside to Ursell. His chipped ball evaded the defence and Richard Butler beat the keeper to the ball, but his chip went just over the bar and landed on the roof of the net.

With the Dons finally creating chances, a whipped in free-kick was nearly flicked in by a Banstead head, but the resultant corner was headed behind by Steve Butler for a goal-kick.

Other than a brief slight fracas on the half-way line, the game looked to be petering to the interval without anything else having the temerity to occur. But in injury time, Robert Ursell jinked past several players and unleashed a shot, only to see Borg save well to his right.

After the interval the Dons emerged with more purpose and continued to take the game to their opponents. Woolner?s diagonal ball bisected the defence and Richard Butler ran on to head it unmarked, but screwed his effort wide. He then almost managed to tee up Ursell in the area, but Borg came out to clear.

With the Dons attackers finally finding some room, Banstead were looking rattled at the back for the first time, Eventually, after three Banstead attempts to foul Ursell, Ellis finally connected on the edge of the area and was booked for his efforts. The wizard himself stood up, dusted himself down and curled the free-kick around the wall and past Paul Borg for a superb opening goal.

Martin Randall entered the arena in place of Jamie Taylor and doubled the advantage with 69 minutes played. Richard Butler held the ball up in the box and laid it off. Randall pounced to hammer it into the roof of the net from a tight angle.

Naisbitt was then called upon to make his first real save of the game, diving low to his left to palm away a close-range effort form an unmarked centre-forward. Another long throw from Finnie caused confusion and nearly snuck in, but Woolner hacked it away from the post for a corner.

By and large the Dons looked comfortable as the game drew to a close, with Banstead?s only other chance a goalmouth scramble eventually ended by a well-timed Ursell tackle.

Job done, and three more valuable points as the 100 per cent record continues.

Next Match >>