HomeNewsSquadThe ClubMatchesTicketsCommercialFeaturesCommunity Football SchemeDons Trust
Fixtures Results ReportsLeague TableAway GroundsThe LeagueLeague FixturesArchiveVenuesGalleries
This is the old official AFC Wimbledon website, preserved for posterity.
For the current official site click www.afcwimbledon.co.uk
Monday 21 July 2003
Friendly - Senior

Hampton & Richmond Borough    2 - 0    AFC Wimbledon
Adrian Allen (80)
 Robin Berlyn 1 Tony Smith 
 Craig Webster 2 John Ellis 
 Sam Okafor 3 Dave Towse 
 Paul Kelly 4 Jamie Angell 
 Alan Inns 5 Sim Johnston 
 Orlando Jeffrey 6 Lee Passmore (sub 75) 
 Dudley Gardner 7 Darren Dobinson 
 Eric Kwakye 8 Wade Falana (sub 75) 
 Lee Channell 9 Ally Russell (sub 85) 
  10 Noel Frankum 
 Obinna Ulasi 11 Andy Sullivan 
 Massoud Barregeiro 12 Daniel Couch 
 Adrian Allen 13  
 Marcelo Fernandez 14 Ben Chesters (sub 75) 
 Enrico Grimm 15  
 Carl Levine 16 Craig Sallas (sub 85) 
 Steve Omonua 17 Andrew Trefry (sub 75) 

Match report

Hampton and Richmond 2 AFC Wimbledon 0

Billed as a first eleven game, Dons sent down in effect a reserve team, with only Andy Sullivan, Darren Dobinson and Ali Russell surviving from the team that mauled Dorchester on Saturday. To add credence to the reserve feel, Trigger was in charge and Terry Eames watched from behind the goal.

John Ellis, signed during the close season from Hayes and Wade Falana, on trial after being released by Bromley, both made their debuts in the starting line up, Craig Sallas and Alan Trefry (ex Netherne Village) also made debuts coming on in the second half.

With Alan Devonshire putting together a strong Hampton side this year, this would never have been easy for a full strength Dons, and Hampton were ahead after only ten minutes when the offside trap was sprung, the Hampton forward was held back but the defence failed to clear the loose ball and ex-Wimbledon man Richard O'Connor snapped up the chance from the edge of the box with a fierce, low shot.

Apart from Ali Russell heading over Lee Passmore's precise cross five minutes before the break it was very much Hampton's game, although Dons were not outclassed.

Dons started the second half brightly, Wade Falana latching onto Russell's header to force a smart save from the Hampton keeper, Robin Berlyn, but thereafter Hampton took the initiative. Several chances fell their way, not least another breach of the offside trap that left two on one, although the Hampton forward shot against the post Jamie Angell was on hand to clear the headed rebound off the line. Moments later Hampton were unlucky when a lob from 25 yards was just over with Tony Smith nowhere.

The killer blow came with just ten minutes to go, Adrian Allen latching onto a ball in behind John Ellis, running straight on goal, rounding Tony Smith and stroking the ball into an empty net for 2-0.

Next Match >>