HomeNewsSquadThe ClubMatchesTicketsCommercialFeaturesCommunity Football SchemeDons Trust
Fixtures Results ReportsLeague TableAway GroundsThe LeagueLeague FixturesArchiveVenuesGalleries
This is the old official AFC Wimbledon website, preserved for posterity.
For the current official site click www.afcwimbledon.co.uk
Friday 26 December 2008
Blue Square Football Conference South

Fisher Athletic    0 - 3    AFC Wimbledon
    (10) Jon Main
(39) Jon Main
(67) Jon Main
 Ashlee Jones 1 James Pullen 
 James Hammond 2 Samuel Hatton 
( 41)  Alex Bentley 3 Chris Hussey 
(sub 55) ( 22)  Pierre Lisbie 4 Dwane Lee (sub 76) 
 Lee Doherty 5 Ben Judge 
(sub 55)  John Raus 6 Jake Leberl ( 20) 
( 57)  Jamie Lovegrove 7 Kennedy Adjei (sub 71) 
 Rico Morris 8 Tom Davis 
 Carl Gibbs 9 Danny Kedwell 
 Gary Wharton 10 Jon Main 
(sub 68)  Joe Howe 11 Anthony Finn (sub 71) 
(sub 55)  Aaron Cole-Bolt 12 Alan Inns 
  13 Andy Little 
 Terry Bowes 14 Jason Goodliffe (sub 71) 
(sub 55)  Nicky Greene 15 Belal Aiteouakrim (sub 71) 
(sub 68)  Hawell Awotwe 16 Michael Haswell (sub 76) 
 Carlos Talbot 17  

Match report

It is not often that one can leave a football ground having seen your team win 3-0 and come away feeling sorry for the opposition but many Dons fans were in a charitable mood after watching AFC Wimbledon cruise to as comfortable a win as can be expected at this level of football.

Fisher’s off-field problems have been well-documented and this win could count for nothing if the club goes out of business during the season. Terry Brown made just one change from the Newport game with Tony Finn replacing Elliott Godfrey but on an uneven, rutted pitch it was hardly going to be a game where the speedy, tricky Finn would dominate.

From the off, the Dons had the lion’s share of possession and in a game reminiscent of the CCL days it was just a matter of time before they scored. Having said that Fisher fought admirably and the performance of keeper Ashlee Jones was one that will stick in the memory. The home side’s starting eleven has been markedly different from game to game due to their perilous financial plight but in keeper Jones they had a player more than capable of playing at this level and he made a number of smart saves in the first half. Fisher’s rear-guard was finally penetrated on 23 minutes when Raus brought down Finn in the box and Jon Main stepped up to notch his 15th goal of the season from the spot.

Jake Leberl almost made it two with a 20-yarder that whistled past the post and Chris Hussey’s in-swinging free kick smacked off the bar five minutes later but Tom Davis spurned the best chance to double the lead when he shot over when well placed on the edge of the box. Inevitably it was Main who made it two just before half time when he slotted past Jones from 15 yards after good work from Lee and Hatton had set him free.

Fisher, to be fair, never really threatened and James Pullen only looked troubled once when Doherty¹s 30 yarder screamed just over his crossbar.

With the game pretty much in the bag it was a question of how many the Dons would score but not many would have guessed one. However, it was a superb one when Danny Kedwell latched onto a beautiful Davis pass, beat right back Saunders, crossed to the far post and watched as Main nodded in for his second hat trick of the season.

Kedwell had a chance to make it four but again Jones saved well and when he was beaten again, this time by a Goodliffe header, the far post saved him.

Gibbs had a couple of decent efforts in the final five minutes but Pullen's underemployment was complete when the striker shot wide when put through by substitute Cole-Bolt.

Whether these three points and Main's three goals count for anything remains to be seen but the Dons can do no more than win their games and let poor Fisher’s financial situation take care of itself.

Next Match >>