HomeNewsSquadThe ClubMatchesTicketsCommercialFeaturesCommunity Football SchemeDons Trust
Fixtures Results ReportsLeague TableAway GroundsThe LeagueLeague FixturesArchiveVenuesGalleries
This is the old official AFC Wimbledon website, preserved for posterity.
For the current official site click www.afcwimbledon.co.uk
Saturday 22 August 2009
Blue Square Football Conference Premier

Altrincham    0 - 1    AFC Wimbledon
    (82) Danny Kedwell
 Stuart Coburn 1 James Pullen 
(sub 46)  James Smith 2 Jay Conroy 
 Matt Doughty 3 Chris Hussey 
 Tom Kearney 4 Steven Gregory 
 Greg Young 5 Paul Lorraine (sub 60) 
 Shaun Densmore 6 Brett Johnson 
 Matty Crowell 7 Samuel Hatton 
(sub 80)  Chris Denham 8 Lewis Taylor ( 40) 
 Rob Williams 9 Danny Kedwell 
(sub 72)  Dale Johnson 10 Derek Duncan 
 Chris Senior 11 Luke Moore (sub 74) 
(sub 46)  Colin Little 12 Ben Judge (sub 60) (sub 62) 
 Russell Sanders 13 Seb Brown 
(sub 80)  Nicky Clee 14 Jon Main (sub 74) 
 Anthony Danylyk 15 Ricky Wellard 
(sub 72)  Danny Heffernan 16 Elliott Godfrey (sub 62) 

Match report

Danny Kedwell's late strike proved the difference for the Dons with a well deserved victory at Moss Lane.

The striker's 81st minute strike settled the game that gave the visitors not only all three points but their third win in seven days. However, the victory came at a price, when both Paul Lorraine and his replacement Ben Judge both needed work on the treatment table, giving Terry Brown some early cause for concern.

In a first half devoid of many clear-cut chances, a free kick by Sam Hatton and a late effort by the host's Greg Young permeated an otherwise scrappy encounter. The second half was a much more open affair though, with both teams demonstrating more of a desire to attack.

Indeed, it was Altrincham who produced the opening salvo. After Brett Johnson upended Chris Senior, Tom Kearney's resulting free kick forced Jamie Pullen into his first save of the afternoon, with a fine punch over the bar.

The visiting defence suffered what could have been a fatal blow to their hopes with a double injury scare. Firstly, Paul Lorraine was taken off on the hour mark and was replaced by Ben Judge. However, his time on the field only lasted two minutes following a shoulder injury caused by two Altrincham players.

To the Dons' credit, their attack relieved the pressure on their beleaguered back line, with efforts from both Derek Duncan and Lewis Taylor forcing keeper Stuart Coburn into action.

The home side themselves were foiled by goalkeeping heroics, when on 64 minutes Jamie Pullen saved admirably with his right foot from substitute Colin Little, after capitalising on a woeful back header.

It was increasingly clear to the 1438 spectators that a solitary strike would be the matchwinner, and it was top scorer Kedwell who got that vital breakthrough.

With just nine minutes remaining, a layoff by Elliott Godfrey found a flat-footed Altrincham defence wanting. Kedwell took full advantage, and with a low shot across Coburn's right put the Dons into a deserved lead.

Both sides could have added to the scoreline in a tense late period. Firstly, substitute Jon Main should have sealed the game right on full time, after taking advantage of further lax Altrincham defending, yet he agonisingly put his effort wide.

Then, right on the full time whistle, a low cross into the visiting box found Little right at Pullen's far post - yet his missed effort was to the relief of both players and supporters.

Next Match >>