HomeNewsSquadThe ClubMatchesTicketsCommercialFeaturesCommunity Football SchemeDons Trust
Fixtures Results ReportsLeague TableAway GroundsThe LeagueLeague FixturesArchiveVenuesGalleries
This is the old official AFC Wimbledon website, preserved for posterity.
For the current official site click www.afcwimbledon.co.uk
Saturday 17 July 2004
Friendly - Senior

Banstead Athletic    1 - 2    AFC Wimbledon
Marcel Dennis (06)
  (02) Martin Randall
(87) Jones Bamfo
 Paul Borg 1 Danny Naisbitt (sub 65) 
 Elliot Capel 2 Michael Woolner 
 Ben Shannon 3 Ryan Gray (sub 70) 
 Helder Ribiero 4 Antony Howard 
 Wayne Finnie 5 Jamie Angell (sub 45) 
 Aaron Day 6  
 Danny Wise 7 Robert Ursell (sub 80) 
 Graham Knight 8 Chris Gell (sub 45) 
 Simon Huckle 9 Martin Randall (sub 65) 
 Marcel Dennis 10 Jamie Taylor (sub 45) (sub 80) 
 Michael Beale 11 Gareth Graham (sub 45) 
 Neil John 12 Steve Gibson (sub 45) 
  13 Paul Smith (sub 65) 
 Dean Walker 14 Jones Bamfo (sub 65) 
 Gary Syrett 15 Seb Favata (sub 45) 
 R Kamara-Taylor 16 Gavin Bolger (sub 45) 
 Sayce Holmes-Lewis 17 Lewis Taylor (sub 70) 
 N Wynne 18 Mark Williams (sub 45) 
 Chris Read 19 Lee Sidwell 
 Mike Elsden 20  

Match report

The Dons won for the first time under Dave Anderson and on balance probably deserved to take a victory away from their trip to Merland Rise.

As promised, AFC Wimbledon lined up in a 3-5-2 formation, with Roger Joseph, Antony Howard and Jamie Angell at the back and Michael Woolner and Ryan Gray as wing-backs. Gareth Graham was fit enough to start and he and Chris Gell were joined by Robert Ursell in the middle of the park, with Martin Randall and Jamie Taylor up front.

Woolner was involved in the action early on and was largely responsible for the opening goal on just three minutes. After his cross was cleared, it was knocked back in and his low shot could only be parried by the goalkeeper. Randall pounced to smash home from a couple of yards out.

Four minutes later it was 1-1, as a back post cross was headed back across Naisbitt?s goal for Dennis to convert. Gray floated a cross-cum-shot just over and the best move of the half saw Woolner drive over after good speedy passing between Ursell, Gray, Taylor and Randall.

It seemed as though the ball had been bundled over the Banstead line after a corner, but nothing was given, while Gray managed to fire home only after a free-kick had been given. 1-1 was the half-time score, with Ursell having been the pick of the bunch in terms of performances with some neat touches.

At the start of the second half, Steve Gibson replaced Angell, with Woolner dropping back into the back three, Seb Favata and Gavin Bolger came on in midfield and Mark Williams replaced Jamie Taylor. Chances were few and far between in a disjointed and more sedentary period. Later, Jones Bamfo came on for Randall, with Paul Smith getting more time between the posts and then Lewis Taylor replaced Gray.

Just as it seemed that the game would peter out to an honourable draw, Bamfo broke clear and slotted coolly past the keeper and into the bottom corner for his first goal for the first team, with just injury time remaining.

It secured a valuable morale boosting victory ahead of tricky games against Brentford and Barnet and, despite the manager?s desire to concentrate on performances rather than results, sent the crowd home happy.

Dons (3-5-2): Naisbitt (Smith 65); Howard, Joseph, Angell (Gibson 45); Woolner, Graham (Favata 45), Gell (Bolger 45), Ursell (J Taylor 80), Gray (L Taylor 70); Randall (Bamfo 65), J Taylor (Williams 45).

Next Match >>