HomeNewsSquadThe ClubMatchesTicketsCommercialFeaturesCommunity Football SchemeDons Trust
Fixtures Results ReportsLeague TableAway GroundsThe LeagueLeague FixturesArchiveVenuesGalleries
This is the old official AFC Wimbledon website, preserved for posterity.
For the current official site click www.afcwimbledon.co.uk
Saturday 09 October 2004
FA Trophy

AFC Wimbledon    2 - 0    Metropolitan Police
(og) Stuart Mackenzie (36)
Chris Gell (90)
 Danny Naisbitt 1 Stuart Mackenzie 
 Steve Gibson 2 Stuart Harte 
( 32)  Ryan Gray 3 Paul Barrowcliff ( 35) 
 Antony Howard 4 Simon Gregory 
 Glenn Wilson 5 Dave Newman 
 Jay Conroy 6 Jon Daly 
 Robert Ursell 7 Craig Brown (sub 78) 
 Chris Gell 8 Paul Sears (sub 83) 
( 67)  Richard Butler 9 Rob Haworth 
(sub 75)  Martin Randall 10 Andy Oxby 
 Jon-Barrie Bates 11 Danny Bolt (sub 64) 
 Gavin Bolger 12 Simon Bochenski (sub 83) 
 Paul Smith 13  
(sub 75)  Jamie Taylor 14 Michael Parma (sub 64) 
 Leon McDowall 15 Chris Cottam 
 Wes Goggin 16 Rob Tarrant (sub 78) 
  17 Matthew Fox 

Match report

The Dons earnt a trip to Hendon with a comfortable, if unspectacular, win against Met Police.

The Police had the best of the first five minutes, with two dangerous free-kicks, but Wimbledon slowly came into the match and forced the visitors into a more defensive mode.

Ryan Gray and Robert Ursell were the architects of most of the Dons attacks, but clear-cut chances were few and far between.

Glenn Wilson was unlucky not to connect with a vicious Gray curler and Gell then sent a shot just wide from the edge of the box after great hold-up work by Richard Butler.

Steve Gibson scampered away down the right and his low pull-back was sent goalwards by Randall. After his shot was blocked, there was an almighty collision just inside the area as Gell tried to get a shot off and Gregory looked to block him. Neither player shirked the challenge and both stayed on the ground afterwards, but were able to continue after treatment.

More wizardry from Ursell ended in a great left-wing cross. Butler rose to meet it, but couldn?t get much purchase on his header and it dropped the wrong side of the post.

Met Police then went close themselves from a freekick. A diving header sent the ball back across the face of goal and Naisbitt came out to deny a sliding attacker, eventually winning a goalkick as it cannoned off his adversary?s shin.

Ryan Gray received a caution essentially for not being very good after 32 minutes. Met Police won a throw-in after a Gell pass went astray and Gray meant to kick the ball into the advertising hoarding to return it to the Police player. Unfortunately, he lofted it over the hoarding and into the main stand. The referee decided it constituted kicking the ball away, which was technically correct if not in keeping with the intent, so the wing-back had his name taken.

Another Dons breakaway finally resulted in a breakthrough in bizarre circumstances just after the half-hour. First of all Randall was chopped late by Barrowcliff, but the referee played the advantage. The resultant cross was hacked behind and the official showed Barrowcliff a yellow card for the challenge. Worse was to come for the Police as Gray curled a low corner into the near post. Under challenge from Butler, Mackenzie somehow managed to punch the ball into his own net, for what could only be given as an own-goal for the unfortunate custodian.

Ursell then teed up Butler, who sent the ball agonisingly wide of the far post as he curled it past Mackenzie.

Naisbitt decided to join the calamity keeper club, but got away with it, miscontrolling a backpass from Howard but scrambling back to hack it off the line, so the scoreline remained 1-0 to the home side at the interval.

The second half proceeded in a largely incident-free fashion. Butler sent a Gibson cross wide with a diving header and was then harshly booked after an attempt to win the ball left Gregory on the floor. Gregory also produced a late block to deny Butler after good interplay with Ursell. At the other end the Dons were largely untroubled, Bolt managing one terrible scuffed shot that trickled through to Naisbitt before being replaced by Parma.

Randall?s final act was to send a great Gray cross from deep over the bar with a header and he was replaced by Jamie Taylor with 15 minutes remained. Taylor immediately won a corner, but it was claimed by Mackenzie.

At just 1-0, there were a few nerves and Met Police occasionally threatened as the game drew to a close. Naisbitt?s poor clearance was clipped straight back up the pitch, but he did well to parry Daly?s effort. Haworth sent the resultant cross wide with a header. Oxby curled a freekick around the wall, but it was easily held by Naisbitt.

Finally, in injury time, Gell headed home a Gray cross to make the final score 2-0.

Wimbledon will be away to Hendon in the First Round on Saturday 6 November.

Next Match >>