HomeNewsSquadThe ClubMatchesTicketsCommercialFeaturesCommunity Football SchemeDons Trust
Fixtures Results ReportsLeague TableAway GroundsThe LeagueLeague FixturesArchiveVenuesGalleries
This is the old official AFC Wimbledon website, preserved for posterity.
For the current official site click www.afcwimbledon.co.uk
Tuesday 14 September 2004
Ryman League, Division One

AFC Wimbledon    2 - 2    Leatherhead
Jamie Taylor (66)
Robert Ursell (76)
  (89) Dave Stevens
(90) Dave Stevens
 Danny Naisbitt 1 Tommy Dunn 
 Steve Gibson 2 Jamie Beer 
 Ryan Gray 3 Adam Gray 
 Antony Howard 4 Iain Hendry (sub 74) 
(sub 45)  Matt Everard 5 Danny Lavender 
 Chris Gell 6 Mark Harper 
 Robert Ursell 7 Steve Sargent 
 Gavin Bolger 8 David Harlow (sub 67) 
( 19)  Jon-Barrie Bates 9 Marc Charles-Smith 
 Jamie Taylor 10 Dave Stevens 
 Richard Butler 11 Dante Alighieri (sub 59) 
(sub 45)  Nick Roddis 12 Michael Webb 
 Paul Smith 13  
 Leon McDowall 14 Wes Harrison (sub 74) 
 Paul Quinn 15 Paul Mackay (sub 67) 
 Joe Sheerin 16 Dean Carpenter 
  17 Tommy Moorhouse (sub 59) 

Match report

Two goals in the last two minutes from visitors Leatherhead saw AFC Wimbledon squander a lead as the spoils were shared at Kingsmeadow on Tuesday night.

Jamie Taylor and Robert Ursell had got the goals for the Dons that looked to have seen off a strong, hardworking Leatherhead.
But the dangerous Dave Stevens had other ideas and two goals in the dying minutes saw AFC Wimbledon drop their first points of the season.
The first half saw AFC Wimbledon impose themselves playing all the football in the Leatherhead half.

Ryan Gray went close smacking a post from 25 yards with a fizzing free kick. Despite having all the posession, clear cut chances were at a premium with a combination of the opponents high work-rate and a lack of a final ball keeping the Dons out.

Jon-Barrie Bates sailed close to the wind with two muscular challenges, one of which drew a rare caution for the Dons this season.
Jamie Taylor looked lively and was the orchestrator of some fine interplay with fellow strike partner Richie Butler and seemed the man most likely to break the brave Leatherhead resistance.

But as the half drew to a close, it was time for Robert Ursell, resplendent in gold boots, to perform one of his many tricks as he broke clear, rolled the defender with his usual panache before firing into the side netting.

Suddenly Leatherhead were roused and Danny Naisbitt was forced into a fine one handed save after a snap shot by Dave Stevens.
The second half started in much the same way. Nick Roddis was brought into the fray to replace the injured Matt Everard. Roddis slipped into the midfield with Bates dropping back into defence.

Antony Howard saw his looped header cleared off the line but it wasnt until the 66th minute that Taylor broke the deadlock with a close finish after a poor corner from Gray had eluded everyone as it skimmed across the box.

Suddenly the Dons were rampant and it was the excellent Butler who laid the ball sideways for Ursell to slide rule home his eighth goal of the campaign. A smart finish eluding the despairing Tommy Dunn in the Tanners goal.

To their credit, Leatherhead kept going and it needed good work from Bates to keep out Stevens and keep the small band of visiting supporters nestled on the West Bank in good voice.

Their vocal promptings only served to inpire the Tanners and Stevens set about dragging his team back into the match. First a sharp finish from 12 yards halved the deficit before he found himself unmarked to pull Leatherhead back on level terms.

Next Match >>