HomeNewsSquadThe ClubMatchesTicketsCommercialFeaturesCommunity Football SchemeDons Trust
Fixtures Results ReportsLeague TableAway GroundsThe LeagueLeague FixturesArchiveVenuesGalleries
This is the old official AFC Wimbledon website, preserved for posterity.
For the current official site click www.afcwimbledon.co.uk
Saturday 27 November 2004
Ryman League, Division One

Bashley    1 - 2    AFC Wimbledon
Danny Gibbons (09)
  (60) Matt Everard
(89) Martin Randall
 Stacey Harper 1 Danny Naisbitt 
 Steve Strong 2 Michael Woolner 
 Chris Ferrett 3 Ryan Gray 
 Danny Potter 4 Jay Conroy 
 Mat Jones 5 Matt Everard (sub 82) 
 Andy Culliford 6 Steve Gibson 
 Graeme Gee 7 Gareth Graham 
 Chris Knowles 8 Chris Gell 
 Danny Gibbons 9 Joe Sheerin (sub 69) 
 Richard Gillespie 10 Martin Randall (sub 90) 
 Dave Wakefield 11 Gavin Bolger 
 James Totczyk 12 Antony Howard (sub 82) 
 David Elm 13 Paul Smith 
 Darren Head 14 Joe Paris 
 Gary Langrish 15 Leon McDowall (sub 90) 
 Mika Dronyk 16 Richard Butler (sub 69) 

Match report

The Dons travelled to the New Forest with neither Rob Ursell nor Gary Prigent fit enough to make the squad. Richard Butler was back on the bench as Joe Sheerin started up front and Gareth Graham came into midfield. Jay Conroy completed the back three with Matt Everard and Micky Woolner.
In a proverbial game of two halves, the hosts dominated before half-time, but an excellent second half display was enough for Wimbledon to take all three points home with them.
Bashley drew first blood as their left-winger made space and sent in a cross for the unmarked Gibbons. He seemed to have all the time in the world to send a looping effort inside the far post off his chest, with a stranded Danny Naisbitt appealing vainly for handball.
One-nil down after just nine minutes, the Dons nearly responded immediately, but Harper produced a great block in the home goal to deny Chris Gell. Bashley then went close in another goalmouth scramble, before Randall headed just over after good work by Gibson.
From another Bashley attack, Naisbitt lost his bearings and slipped, causing him to handle a through ball outside the area. The referee gave a free-kick but took no further action. It was cleared, as was a subsequent free-kick given for a foul by Conroy.
The Dons saw a free-kick cleared and Gillespie broke at pace but his cross beat everyone. Naisbitt then came out well to dribble the ball clear when the same player threatened.
Conroy was then thrown a lifeline by the referee as the livewire Gillespie dispossessed him. As the striker broke into the area, play was halted for an earlier infringement by the Dons? centre-back. The freekick was teed up for Ferrett who drove just over.
Harper came out to tip a free-kick behind as Everard looked for a far-post header. The first corner was nodded behind and the second was clawed away from the line by the goalkeeper before the referee gave a free-kick.
The period up to the interval was scrappy, with both sides struggling to hang on to the ball for prolonged periods and neither team looking particularly likely to score. Woolner had a weak shot from distance easily held by Harper.
But the Dons were a different side in the second half as they took the game to their opposition. Gavin Bolger was fouled on the edge of the box, but Gray?s freekick hit the wall. It was another set piece that brought the equaliser as Matt Everard headed into the roof of the net at the back post from a corner on the hour mark.
Immediately Naisbitt saved well at a striker?s feet to keep the scores level. There was a loud clamour for a penalty in the Bashley box as there seemed to be a handball in a goalmouth scramble, but the referee was unmoved.
Sheerin was replaced by Richard Butler with 21 minutes remaining and Butler immediately sent a free header wide from a good Gray cross. By now the Dons were enjoying the lion?s share of the possession, but Naisbitt was forced to tip another Ferrett free-kick over,
Harper claimed a Randall cross well under pressure from Butler and Everard muscled Gillespie off the ball when he threatened on the break. Gell then set Randall up with a good tackle, but his through-ball eluded Butler and Gray was flagged offside. With eight minutes remaining, Matt Everard, suffering from a knee injury, was replaced by Antony Howard.
Gray nearly sent the Dons in front with a mis-hit cross as the ball looped over Harper, but the ball rebounded off the bar to safety. A clever Randall flicked header from a corner was well saved by the young goalkeeper.
But he could do nothing about the Dons? winner from another corner. The initial cross was cleared back to Graham, who sent a hanging ball over for Randall to head home at the far post. 2-1 proved to be decisive, with the only other chance of note coming as Graham sent Gray away with a delightful pass, but the wing-back?s low cross fell behind Butler and was cleared.

Next Match >>