HomeNewsSquadThe ClubMatchesTicketsCommercialFeaturesCommunity Football SchemeDons Trust
Fixtures Results ReportsLeague TableAway GroundsThe LeagueLeague FixturesArchiveVenuesGalleries
This is the old official AFC Wimbledon website, preserved for posterity.
For the current official site click www.afcwimbledon.co.uk
Tuesday 07 December 2004
Ryman League, Division One

AFC Wimbledon    4 - 0    Molesey
Gary Prigent (08)
Gary Prigent (50)
Richard Butler (70)
Richard Butler (87)
 Danny Naisbitt 1 Luke Garrard 
(sub 68)  Steve Gibson 2 Peter Millington-Lee 
 Ryan Gray 3 Phil Caughter 
 Michael Woolner 4 Paul Gower (sub 77) 
 Antony Howard 5 John Murphy 
 Julian Sills 6 Steve Beeks ( 75) 
(sub 70)  Gary Prigent 7 Russell Pym (sub 58) 
 Gareth Graham 8 Sam Lampard 
 Martin Randall 9 Damien Dantek 
(sub 39)  Joe Sheerin 10 Mark Frampton (sub 33) 
 Chris Gell 11 Jamie Rodney 
(sub 39)  Richard Butler 12 Phil Williams (sub 58) 
 Paul Smith 13  
(sub 70)  Gavin Bolger 14 James Godwin (sub 33) 
 Wes Goggin 15 Fraser Muscat (sub 77) 
(sub 68)  Jay Conroy 16 Mark Rhodes 
  17 Clark Goodwin 

Match report

AFC Wimbledon made it one win a row as they put Molesey to the sword. Following the defeat at Cray, Dave Anderson shuffled his pack. Steve Gibson returned from food poisoning at right wing-back, with Antony Howard dropping into the back three alongside Micky Woolner and Julian Sills. Gary Prigent joined the back-from-suspension Chris Gell and Gareth Graham in the middle of the park.

And Prigent it was who opened the scoring early on. Martin Randall laid off a Joe Sheerin cross in the box and Prigent found acres of space to hammer a shot that Garrard simply couldn?t keep out.

Molesey then had to head another dangerous cross away from under the bar and Randall had a shot blocked from a Ryan Gray free-kick. From the next, Graham sent a volley over from the edge of the box. Randall narrowly failed to collect with a Sheerin flick-on as Wimbledon dominated. Sheerin produced a delightful showboat to turn his marker on the right wing, but it came to nothing.

For all their possession and some nice quick passing moves, the Dons were unable to create many more clear-cut chances. But they were comfortably the better side and Molesey?s best effort was a shot high and wide from distance by Pym. After colliding with a defender, Sheerin limped off to be replaced by Richard Butler six minutes before half-time. Several times the Dons passed the ball around on the edge of the area, but they couldn't find the cutting edge to break through again.

But it was Molesey who came of out the blocks faster in the second half. Goodwin had acres of space in the Wimbledon area, but his shot cannoned off the crossbar and was cleared behind. From the corner, no-one marked Millington-Lee, but his free header flew over.

Chastened by their narrow escape, the Dons immediately responded by doubling their advantage. Gibson?s blocked shot won them a corner, it was headed away from under the bar and the diminutive Prigent ghosted in to loop a header over the man on the line from the penalty spot for his second goal of them.

Randall and Butler then combined with a flicked one-two to send the substitute ahead of the defence, but he couldn?t squeeze a shot past the sliding centre-back?s challenge. With both sides finding more space, Naisbitt came out to claim well at the feet of Lampard and then saved well from a close range shot, before completing a trio of saves by clawing an inswinging corner away from under the bar.

Only a last ditch challenge prevented Gibson teeing up Butler from another fine Dons attack and the corner was cleared. And Wimbledon seemed to be in the mood to dispel long-ball myths, spraying around quick passes in a give-and-go style. Gell fizzed a low shot narrowly wide after a seven-man move in which the ball never left the floor.

A third goal wasn?t long in coming as Murphy deflected a forward pass over his own defence. Butler needed no second invitation and scampered away to smash the ball past Garrard for 3-0 on 70 minutes.

Molesey?s forays forward were thwarted twice by the linesman?s flag. At the other end, Randall seemed to be poleaxed in the box, but the referee remained unmoved. The striker dusted himself off and won the ball back on the halfway line. Gell took it up the left wing and sent a great low cross into the box that Butler just couldn?t quite get on the end of.

Butler wasn?t to be denied his double however. With three minutes remaining he won the ball in a tussle with Millington-Lee and hared into the box. His cutback fell just behind Randall, who certainly seemed to be tripped as he tried to dig it out. But it made no matter as Butler pounced to lift the ball over a diving Garrard for 4-0.

Naisbitt pulled off two fine low saves in the dying matches to ensure a clean sheet and Wimbledon were crowded out as they looked for a fifth.

So the two doubles completed the scoring as Wimbledon proved there would be no lasting effects from the weekend?s loss with an comprehensive display, punctuated by some fine passages of play. As that was the first time the Dons had netted more than three goals since the opening day of the season, it seems safe to say reports of their demise were proved to be somewhat premature.

Next Match >>