HomeNewsSquadThe ClubMatchesTicketsCommercialFeaturesCommunity Football SchemeDons Trust
Fixtures Results ReportsLeague TableAway GroundsThe LeagueLeague FixturesArchiveVenuesGalleries
This is the old official AFC Wimbledon website, preserved for posterity.
For the current official site click www.afcwimbledon.co.uk
Saturday 27 August 2005
Ryman League, Premier Division

Slough Town    0 - 2    AFC Wimbledon
    (19) Shane Smeltz
(90) Barry Moore
 Michael Parkin 1 Andy Little 
 Josias Carbon 2 Wayne Finnie ( 31) 
(sub 71)  Jamie Brooks 3 Dave Sargent 
 Steve Daly 4 Mark Cooper 
 Christian Metcalfe 5 Steve Butler 
( 77)  Mark Avery 6 Craig Carley (sub 70) 
 Darron Wilkison 7 Matt York 
 Michael Alexis 8 Michael Woolner 
 Ian Hodges 9 Richard Butler (sub 80) 
(sub 75)  Matt Seedel 10 Shane Smeltz 
(sub 75)  Leon Woodruffe 11 Amadou Kouman (sub 46) 
(sub 71)  Glen Harris 12 Matt Fowler (sub 70) 
  13 Josh Lennie 
 Tee Daly 14 Barry Moore (sub 80) 
(sub 75)  Josh Miller 15 Antony Howard 
 Sam Shepherd 16 Wes Daly (sub 46) 
(sub 75)  Adam Paget 17  

Match report

The Dons chalked up a third successive win to stay top of the Ryman Premier with maximum points, beating Slough Town 2-0 away from home. A crowd of 1,264 watched Shane Smeltz and Barry Moore score the goals which sent the Wimbledon supporters home happy.

A late kick-off, apparently due to the referee?s being stuck in traffic, saw AFC Wimbledon start in a 4-4-2 formation with Amadou Kouman and debutant Craig Carley the wide players. The Dons were bright in the opening exchanges and it wasn?t long before Kiwi Womble Smeltz was troubling the Rebels defence, forcing a save from ?keeper Parkin.

With under 20 minutes gone, a Slough attack was broken up by Wayne Finnie. The ball was cleared upfield and crossed for Micky Woolner, who headed against the bar. The rebound somehow found its way to Smeltz on the edge of the box, and his clinical finish put a smile on the faces of the travelling support.

At the other end Little was untroubled, having to do no more than collect the ball when required, apart from a perfunctory save at his near post from a free-kick. The Slough attack looked promising in parts but failed to produce much and the half ended with Wimbledon on top.

The second half started with some concerted pressure from the home side and it looked as if the equaliser was on its way. After ten minutes of this Dons manager Dave Anderson switched formation, deploying wing-backs and a back three. This seemed to settle the visitors and the next 35 minutes consisted mostly of Slough Town pressure, soaked up by the solid Wimbledon defence and the safe handling of ?keeper Little.

In the last minute of added time AFC Wimbledon doubled their lead when half-time substitute Wes Daly?s clearance was met by Barry Moore, on for Richard Butler, who managed to get his head to the ball in front of the advancing Parkin. Moore?s deflection had just enough on it to take it past Slough captain Steve Daly and into the net.

The referee finally blew for full time, well after 5pm, and the Wimbledon supporters celebrated another tough but deserved three points.

Next Match >>