HomeNewsSquadThe ClubMatchesTicketsCommercialFeaturesCommunity Football SchemeDons Trust
Fixtures Results ReportsLeague TableAway GroundsThe LeagueLeague FixturesArchiveVenuesGalleries
This is the old official AFC Wimbledon website, preserved for posterity.
For the current official site click www.afcwimbledon.co.uk
Saturday 01 October 2005
Ryman League, Premier Division

Heybridge Swifts    1 - 1    AFC Wimbledon
Cliff Akurang (55)
  (89) Richard Butler
 Paul Nicholls 1 Andy Little 
 Erdem Atrun 2 Antony Howard ( 16) 
 Ian Cousins 3 Dave Sargent (sub 78) 
 Michael Shinn 4 Michael Woolner (sub 78) 
 Danny Barber 5 Steve Butler 
 Paul O'Donoghue 6 Simon Sobihy ( 52) 
(sub 82)  Mark Janney 7 Wes Daly 
 Adam Gillespie 8 Barry Moore 
 Paul Abbott 9 Richard Butler ( 68) 
(sub 74)  Kris Lee 10 Shane Smeltz 
( 4)  Cliff Akurang 11 Matt York 
( 89) (sub 74)  Robin Trott 12 Mark Cooper 
  13 Josh Lennie 
 Sean Marks 14 Wayne Finnie 
(sub 82)  Austin Berkley 15 Sonny Farr (sub 78) 
 Josh Hull 16 Stefan Wojciechowski (sub 78) 
 Matthew Cutchley 17  

Match report

With Steve Butler and Antony Howard passing late fitness tests AFC Wimbledon
started in a 3-5-2 formation with Simon Sobihy, Steve Butler and Antony Howard as centre backs Michael Woolner and Dave Sargent starting as wing backs. A midfield trio of Wes Daly, Matt York and Barry Moore who is playing in an advanced roll with a remit to get forward to support Shane Smeltz and Richard Butler up front.

Cliff Akurang was booked on 7mins he took the ball past Andy Little and threw himself to the floor in the penalty area the Ref booked him for simulation.

Barry Moore had the Dons first chance on goal 9 mins when he shot low after a knock down from Smeltz but Nicholls gathered the shot reasonably comfortably.

Good work from Richard Butler down the right led Wes Daly picking the ball up and running into the penalty area he played the ball across the 6 yard box but a retreating defender managed to hook the ball over the bar for a Wimbledon corner which came to nothing.

York had the 1st chance of the second half when he picked the ball up in midfield and shot but his 25 yard effort went a couple of feet over the bar.

Heybridge went close on 52 mins when a free kick was played short and Cousins shot low hard but just wide to the right of Little's post.

At this stage the Dons probably had the best of the play but it was the home side who took the lead when Akurang picked the ball up in front of the Wimbledon defence turned Steve Butler outpaced Antonly Howard and finished well past Andy Little.

The Dons came back strongly Dave Sargent hit a vicious rising left shot which Nicholls did well to tip over with his right hand. Barry Moore then struck a dipping shot from 25yards out that beat the keeper but went just over the cross bar. The home side where then awarded a penalty when the ball bounced up and hit Antony Howard?s hand. The opposition keeper came forward to take the spot kick what Nicholls was not aware of was that Simon Sobihy had seen him take a spot kicks in the past and advised Little that he struck them straight down the middle the Dons keeper stayed upright and saved well with his feet.

The Dons got a deserved share of the spoils late on when when after bright work by Wes Daly and Sonny Farr to get the ball to Richard Butler the striker worked himself some space in the box and slammed a right footed shot home for 1-1.

Next Match >>