HomeNewsSquadThe ClubMatchesTicketsCommercialFeaturesCommunity Football SchemeDons Trust
Fixtures Results ReportsLeague TableAway GroundsThe LeagueLeague FixturesArchiveVenuesGalleries
This is the old official AFC Wimbledon website, preserved for posterity.
For the current official site click www.afcwimbledon.co.uk
Sunday 16 October 2005
West Surrey Youth League U15 Premier North

Carshalton Athletic Colts U14    2 - 4    AFC Wimbledon

Match report

The Colts started in a 4-4-2 formation for the first time this season with Ilesanmi and Winters slotting in at fullback. The Colts started brightly against an unbeaten Carshalton side that would prove a stern test after last weeks poor performance. The pitch was proving a hindrance to both sides who were trying to keep the ball down and play. It took AFC Colts 8 minutes to break the deadlock, Howell spun on a sixpence before playing a sliderule pass into Wellman who finished clinically, 0-1. The whole set up appeared a lot more organised this week with everyone looking comfortable in their positions. In the 13th minute though, the scores were level, yet again a hoof over our defence which the back four failed to react to saw a mad scramble towards our own goal, culminating in our rearguard being breached with a scruffy poke home, 1-1. Major plusses were the performances of Gridley and Ilesanmi, Gridley was absolutely dominating the middle third in uncompromising fashion whilst Ilesanmi was excelling at fullback, a perfect response to last weeks performance! Borg came out onto the left and Fagan moved up front to replace Howell and it was yet another assist for Borg, who must be one of the best crossers in the league, when he delivered a beautiful corner that the determined Gridley met determinedly to put us 2-1 up after 33. Winters was being sucked out of position slightly so he was replaced by Sarapong, a move that caused open dissent from both players and they were not the only ones who took a schoollboy type attitude towards the coaches, Oakley, Asare and Labinjo were all sulking at some point, disappointing! The half time break again played devils advocate to us as we started sloppily and were fortunate not to end up at 2-2. We again got into our stride though and from Borgs corner, Gridley again showed most desire to force it home at the back post, 1-3 after 44. The 2nd half was a battle, too many times the ball bounced in our box and KEEPER, again impressive between the posts made two good saves from soft freekicks and one absolute blinder which his defence should have dealt with when he tipped a certain goal away for a corner. Carshalton caught us on the break after 68 minutes when we conceded our first PROPER goal of the season. They broke down our left and delivered a great cross between KEEPER and his back four and their lad attacked it to give KEEPER no chance. As Carshalton pressed for an equaliser, we failed to hold the ball effectively and the referee played an age of stoppage time that allowed us to return the compliment of the break away goal, Howell sprang down their right and despite being urged to hold it up, he crossed into Wellman who's control was sublime, before he smashed the ball past their keeper, 2-4.
Man of the Match: A tough one on Danny Gridley but Femi Ilesanmi who showed a tremendous strength of character to bounce back in brilliant style.

Next Match >>